Family offices can be patient and flexible investors in private companies. Unlike private equity and venture capital firms they typically do not have a fixed fund life that limits their hold period in each investment. They also have the freedom to invest across sectors, business stages and transaction types as opposed to abiding by established criteria established as in the case of traditional funds.
At GrowthCap, we provide company owners and executives information on hundreds of family offices investing in private companies. We wanted to highlight 10 such offices that have a dedicated group or fund focused on private equity and/or venture capital investments. They include T5 Equity, Scully Brothers, Gund Investment Corporation, Duchossois Technology Partners, Prtizker Group, Aeris, Indofin Group, Souter Investments, Tavistock and Ziff Brothers.
- T5 Equity invests in both venture capital and private equity opportunities. It is backed by the Ghermezian family who are best known for having developed some of the world’s largest shopping malls including the Mall of America. Sectors of interest include real estate, retail, financial services, internet and biotech among other sectors.
- Scully Brothers is led by John Scully, the former CEO of Apple and former President of PepsiCo. Along with his brothers Arthur and David, the group invests in venture and growth stage U.S. healthcare companies, in particular healthcare delivery systems. Their investments include Watermark Medical, MDLIVE, Audax Health Solutions, Misfit Wearables, and Modernizing Medicine.
- Gund Investment Corporation is a venture capital firm established by Gordon Gund, an owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers and former co-owner of the San Jose Sharks. The firm is based in New Jersey and primarily invests in early stage healthcare and information technology companies.
- Duchossois Technology Partners is a venture capital firm backed by the Duchossois family who built their wealth as owners of various industrial, manufacturing, and consumer companies. The firm invests nationwide with offices in Chicago and Austin and targets sectors including information technology, communications, semiconductors and software.
- The Pritzker Group comprises three investment teams including middle-market, venture capital and asset management. The Pritzkers are one of the wealthiest families in the U.S. and are most famous for owning the Hyatt hotel chain and the Marmon group. Their sector interests include digital media, interactive health, enterprise and consumer applications and financial services.
- Based out of Switzerland, Aeris Capital manages the private equity investments of Klaus Tschira, an SAP founder with net worth in excess of $3.0 billion. The firm invests in venture and growth stage companies and predominantly seeks opportunities in the U.S. and Europe with some interest in Asia. Sector holdings include healthcare, consumer products, information technology, energy and business products and services.
- Indofin Group is owned by the De Bruin family and invests in both minority and control positions in private companies. The group has made investments in shipping, energy services, technology, media, natural resources and real estate. Founded in 1968, they have offices in Geneva, Houston, Paris and Rotterdam.
- Souter Investments is the private investment office of Brian Souter, founder of Stagecoach Group, which provides bus and rail services in the United Kingdom and abroad. Their investments include sector holdings in transport, environmental, luxury goods, financial services, healthcare, power generation and other sectors. An ethical investor, they do not invest in alcohol, gaming, tobacco and armaments.
- Tavistock Group owns more than 200 companies across 15 countries. Founded by billionaire Joe Lewis, the group seeks opportunities in hospitality, restaurants, sports franchises and events, real estate, financial services, energy and power, life sciences, agriculture, consumer brands, distribution and logistics. Tavistock is headquartered in the Bahamas with additional offices in U.S., Europe, South America and other regions.
- Best known for their success in publishing and backing of acclaimed hedge fund Och-Ziff, the Ziff familyinvests in private companies through Ziff Brothers. The firm invests in financials, technology, energy, consumer and healthcare companies. With a family net worth exceeding $12 billion, they have a broad investment mandate and seek opportunities in the U.S., Europe and developing countries worldwide.
To obtain additional information on the above highlighted family offices or explore hundreds of other family offices and ultra high net worth individuals, visit us at www.growthcapadvisory.com.